For the most up to date information on the State of California Regulations of Climbing Walls - please call our office at (877) 206-8967 or the state department listed below:

Department of Industrial Relations
Division of Occupational Safety and Health Amusement Ride Section
2000 East McFadden Avenue, Suite 210
Anaheim, CA 92705

TELEPHONE: (714) 567-7211

STATUTE: California Labor Code - Portable Amusement Rides - Part 8 and Permanent Amusement Rides - Part 8.1 Part 3 Chapter 4 - Arial Passenger Tramways.

PERMITS AND LICENSES: AR - Operating permit expires March 1 of each year. PT - Annual Operating Permit

INSPECTION: Mobile rides inspected by the Ocicupational Safety & Health Division.  Mobile rides are inspected at least once a year.

3rd party inspector to perform a hands on inspection of your climbing wal in the state of California,  these are essentially a paperwork inspection. The State of California will look at:

  • Engineering Plans and Drawngs
  • Operations Manual
  • Inspection Records and Logs - to be performed by Qualified 3rd Party Inspector
  • Staff Training Records and Certficates.

The State of California will not physically inspect your climbing wall or belay systems. Having a state inspection is a duty to demponstrate to the state that you are in compliance with the law and that is your duty to hire a 3rd party climbing wall or tower inspector.

California Climbing Regulation