Puerto Rico

For the most up to date information on the State of Puerto Rico Regulations of Climbing Walls - please call our office at (877) 206-8967 or the state department listed below:

Department of Consumer Affairs
P.O. Box 41059
Minillas Station San Juan, PR 00940-1059 

TELEPHONE: (787) 721-0940
FAX: (787) 726-0077 

STATUTE: Since April 23, 1973, Law #5 - Permits agency to investigate and take necessary action on behalf of consumer. Inflatable Amusement Ride Act 111, April 17, 2003 in progress. 

PERMITS AND LICENSES: The Secretary of Consumer Affairs, part of the President's Cabinet, authorizes Permits and Licenses 

INSPECTION: Done by Consumer Affairs prior to permitting.

The Puerto Rico Dept. Consumer Affairs will primarily be doing a paper inspection and looking for:

  • Engineering Plans and Drawings
  • Operations Manual
  • Inspection Records and Logs - to be performed by Qualified 3rd Party Inspector
  • Staff Training Records and Certficates.

The Puerto Rico Dept. of Consumer Affairs will not physically inspect your climbing wall or belay systems. Having a state inspection is a duty to demponstrate to the state that you are in compliance with the law and that is it. You must hire a 3rd party inspector to perform a hands on inspection of your climbing structures in Puerto Rico.